Fire creates panic at Jaipur Hospital in Lalkothi
The fire broke out around 10.30 pm. There were about 100 patients in the hospital when the incident happened
Last Updated: April 19, 2018, 11:27 am
Jaipur: Fire broke out at the operation theater (OT) of Jaipur Hospital in Lal Kothi area of Jaipur on Monday night. The fire - caused by short-circuit - started on the second floor of the hospital building. A store room where old records and garbage was being kept soon got engulfed in flames, causing smoke to spread throughout the hospital. It created panic among nearly 100 patients and their wards. Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot. It took them nearly an hour to douse the fire. According to Lalkothi police station officials, many wards were leaving the hospital after visiting patients when some people heard an explosion in the AC installed on the first floor. A fireman, identified as Gaurav – was admitted in this hospital. He raised an alarm. A stampede like situation followed. Electricity cables were on fire at several places following short-circuit. The wards and hospital staff started rushing patients out of the hospital premises on stretchers. The power supply to the hospital was snapped. Nearly a dozen 108 ambulances were rushed to the spot. They shifted the patients to SMS Hospital and Santokba Durlabhji Hospital. Some patients were accommodated in the JMC premises. They were on life support. The fire spread due to the garbage in the store room, eyewitness said. The garbage was in the store room, adjacent to the OT. Chief minister Vasundhara Raje expressed concern over the incident. She said that instructions have been given to concerned officials to provide every possible help to patients and their wards. “They have been asked to ensure that such incidents are not repeated,” Raje tweeted. She appreciated the timely rescue operation carried out by the police and fire department with the help of citizens.
First published: April 16, 2018