CM Gehlot rules out another lockdown; calls for increased vigilance
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief minister Ashok Gehlot on Saturday ruled out the possibility of another lockdown while hinting at strict enforcement of restrictions to avert the second wave of COVID-19 infection.
Gehlot said there is a visible sense of compliancy settling in amongst people which could be detrimental to the state’s battle against the raging pandemic.
“People don’t want another spell of lockdown because it can have an adverse effect on employment and economy,” he said.
The CM, however, pointed out that the government if needed, more restrictions will be enforced to prevent another slide. “We have to be strict without a lockdown,” he said while speaking at a virtual event.
Gehlot added that Rajasthan must take the likelihood of a second wave of infections very seriously. “Last year in March we reported 14 cases of the COVID-19, from there, it spread quickly across the state. Our preparations are very good, whatever the situation may be, we are ready to take on the challenge. But we must ensure that virus doesn’t spread,” he said.
Rajasthan has been recording a steep increase in fresh covid cases that have fuelled fresh fears of another wave of covid-19 cases that could trigger new restraints. While the state has been leading in terms of vaccination in the country, people fear that the resurgence of the virus spreading swiftly across the state could be detrimental to the businesses that are finally hobbling back to normalcy.