Ban on Padmavati to continue in Rajasthan
Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje said that the home minister Gulab Chand Kataria has been directed to take steps to prevent the release of the Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone – Shahid Kapoor starrer film.
Jaipur: The ban imposed by Rajasthan government on Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmavati won’t be lifted even as the movie is all set to open in theaters across India on January 25. Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje said that the home minister Gulab Chand Kataria has been directed to take steps to prevent the release of the Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone – Shahid Kapoor starrer film.
The statement came shortly after a group of Rajput community held a press conference in Jaipur on Monday and threatened that the protests would be held on a large scale.
Gulab Chand Kataria told media persons that the movie wouldn’t be released in theaters in Rajasthan.
Padmavati had been banned in Rajasthan in November last year, a few days prior to its release date. Chief minister Raje had said that the government would not allow the movie to be released in Rajasthan until necessary alterations were made. Padmavat – earlier “Padmavati” – had been slated for a December 1 release.
The producers had to postpone the movie’s release bowing to the protests against the alleged objectionable portrayal of Queen Padmavati.
The movie is now being released on January 25 after the producers agreed to make amendments suggested by the Censor Board.
A panel of historians and royal family members had been shown the movie.
Arvind Singh, a former royal family member objected to the movie’s release saying that there were some controversial facts. “This film can upset both Rajput and Muslim communities,” he said.
The Rajput community has warned the BJP-led Rajasthan government of dire consequences in the upcoming assembly elections if the movie was allowed to be released.
The community was already at loggerhead with the government over the issue of the police encounter of gangster Anandpal Singh.
The CBI has registered three FIRs including the one pertaining to the protests after encounter. In this FIR, the CBI will investigate the violence that was triggered during the protests.
Rajput Sabha leader Girraj Singh Lotwada said in a press conference on Monday that the government was breaking its promise that only two of the three FIRs would be investigated.
“The government will face the consequences in the elections,” said Lotwada.