Jaipur: A man who had come to Ajmer from Mumbai to visit the world famous shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti was electrocuted and died after a breakdown in his coach’s power supply. Three others are reported to have sustained burns. The incident caused panic among other passengers who got off the train as the news of the incident spread like wildfire.
The Garib Rath Express was stationed at Ajmer railway station. The train had arrived at Ajmer railway station from Delhi and was on its way to Bandra.
The victim was identified as Nazim Pawaskar. He was getting on the train. After a preliminary investigation, police officials said that Nazim was getting into the coach number – 14 when he accidently touched an electric supply panel near the door. It was not functioning properly. He was electrocuted and died on the spot.
Other passengers tried to rescue him, but fearing for their safety, they couldn’t touch him.
A police team from the government railway police station rushed to the spot and rushed Nazim to a hospital. Doctors declared him brought dead.
Former chief minister Ashok Gehlot expressed grief over the incident.
“Shocked n saddened to know that one passenger has died due to electric shock in #GaribRath train's coach at #Ajmer railway station n 3 passengers hv been injured. My thoughts are wd the victims. This is very serious incident, safety measures mst be given high priority,” Gehlot tweeted.
First published: March 26, 2018