Jaipur: The number of people infected with COVID-19 in Rajasthan went up to 93 by Tuesday afternoon. The new cases were reported in Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jhunjhunu, Ajmer, Duganpur and Jaisalmer. Most of them are relatives of the people who had tested positive earlier.
As the Walled City area of Jaipur – Ramgnaj in particular – has become the new epicentre of coronavirus spread, the administration has made preparations to completely cut off the area from the rest of the city. The home department officials said that no one would be allowed to enter or leave the area over the next few days. A door-to-door survey is already being undertaken so that the people in all the households in the area can be screened for the virus. Hawa Mahal and nearby areas were sanitized on Tuesday.
One of the four people tested positive on Tuesday is a 44-year-old man in Jhunjhunu who returned from Dubai recently. The man who tested positive in Ajmer contracted the disease from his sister. A 65-year-old man whose grandson had earlier tested positive was found infected with the virus in Dungarpur. A 60-year-old man tested positive in Jaipur.
Rajasthan health minister Dr Raghu Sharma said that by 3 pm on Tuesday, 24 new positive cases surfaced in the state (in 24 hours). Of them, 9 are from Jaipur, 3 from Jaisalmer and 1 each from Jodhpur, Jhunjhunu, Dungarpur, Ajmer and Alwar. Seven others are Indian nationals evacuated from Iran. They are currently lodged in a quarantine centre in Jodhpur.
the focus is on protecting health workers including doctors and nursing staff from contracting the disease.
“We are consulting with experts who have dealt with the problem and taking necessary steps accordingly,” said Dr Sharma.
Most people in Bhilwara have been screened multiple times.