City Reports

Jaipur: 30-year-old Jeweller dies as manja slits his throat

The mishap occurred at DCM on Ajmer Road in Jaipur around 5 pm. Mahaveer was going towards Kamala Nehru Nagar on his bike when a sharp thread got entangled around his neck.

January 5, 2018, 9:55 am

kites
Jaipur: A 30-year-old jeweller, identified as Mahaveer Kumar, died after kite-flying thread slit his throat in the city on Thursday. The mishap occurred at DCM on Ajmer Road in Jaipur around 5 pm. Mahaveer was going towards Kamala Nehru Nagar on his bike when a sharp thread got entangled around his neck. He fell to the road after his throat got slit by the thread. Some local residents came to his rescue and immediately rushed him to the nearest private hospital. He was referred to SMS Hospital due to his critical condition. Mahaveer, a native of Phagi in Jaipur rural, was currently living in Tagore Nagar near DCM, according to preliminary reports. The police have however not confirmed the identify, saying that they were waiting for the family members to arrive. Mahaveer died of excessive bleeding. “His windpipes were damaged after being slit by the thread. He couldn’t breathe,” said a doctor. The Jaipur administration has banned the use of Chinese manjha, but it is being sold openly at kite shops in the city. Makar Sankranti is just 10 days away, but the manja has already caused many such mishaps. According to NGOs, nearly 2000 birds are killed while 5000 others are wounded due to the use of manja during the Makar Sankranti.

First published: January 5, 2018