Jaipur: The Rajasthan government on Tuesday decided to close Amer Fort, Jantar Mantar, Hawa Mahal, Albert Hall, City Palace and other popular destinations in the city for tourists till March 31. The decision was taken keeping in view the Coronavirus scare. Thousands of tourists were visiting these monuments and historic places. A archaeological department officer said that following the guidelines enforced to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, it was decided that it was not in the interest of public safety to allow tourists to visit these popular destination.
A notice posted outside Jantar Mantar read, “Entry of tourists in Jantar Mantar will remain closed from March 18 to March 31 in order to take preventive measures against infection from Coronavirus – in reference to the advisory/instructions/guidelines given by the Indian government and chief minister of Rajasthan”.
This will be yet another blow to the state’s tourism industry.
“The number of tourists had already deceased substantially. We faced the same situation when there was Swine Flu outbreak in 2009. This time it is worse. We demand that the government should provide from taxes that are levied on hotels and restaurants,” said a tour operator. A memorandum in this regard was given to chief whip in the assembly Mahesh Joshi. Joshi assured that he would bring this to the notice of the chief minister.