4-lane elevated road from Ghat gate to Ajmeri Gate: All you need to know
Jaipur: Jaipur Development Authority (JDA) has planned to construct a 4-lane elevated road from Ghat Gate to Ajmeri Gate. An elevated road is a controlled-access road that is raised above grade for its entire length. The elevation is usually constructed as viaducts, typically a long pier bridge. Technically, the entire road is a single bridge.
Here’s what you need to know about this project:
- The estimated cost of this project is nearly Rs. 300 crores.
- This amount includes Rs 2.34 crores for design and consultancy, and Rs 15 crores for shifting of services like telephone lines, etc.
- The difference in construction costs (7%) over a period of 2 years is Rs 32.84 crores and included in the total cost.
- The road will cover a distance of 2.2 km.
- The population of Char Diwari area is 58,207 people per square meter.
- 32% employees in the city visit this area every day.
- 54% of Jaipur’s total business activities are conducted here.
- 37,000 students visit here every day.
- The city has 32% cycle usage, 31 % two-wheeler usage, and 19% public transport vehicles. The rests are cabs/taxis (4%), auto rickshaws (6%) and four- wheelers (8%)
BJP state president Ashok Parnami had written a letter to JDA to complete the investigation for this project. It has emerged that the authorities did conduct an inspection however the estimated cost of the project was only discovered after an assessment of the practicality of a proposed project or system (Feasibility report). Parnami had explained the need for such an elevated road considering the increasing number of vehicles and its impact on the Char Diwari area.
Initially, there were plans to improve the transportation system by using Personal rapid transit (PRT), also referred to as podcars. The proposal was even sent to the state government however it wasn’t approved due to the lack of experience of the particular company which wanted to build this project. The plan was to start podcars from Transport Nagar Choraha to Ajmeri gate. A podcar is a public transport mode featuring small automated vehicles operating on a network of specially built guide ways. PRT is a type of automated guideway transit (AGT), a class of system which also includes larger vehicles all the whay to small subway systems.